Thursday, September 03, 2009

Sorry, Honey...I Missed Our Anniversary

Grace posted her 5th Anniversary of her blog today. (Many posts!)
It got me thinking, I've been around for a while too...I wonder......
Sure enough, I missed it. July 16 would have been my 5th year blogging. This is my 327th post.
The first one went like this:

What if ... everyone read everyone else's blogs in the world. Would we fill the universe with intimacy?

I suspect in The Resurrection everyone will know everyone else like everyone wanted to be known by writing blogs. But we couldn't wait for that to happen. Since we can't delay our gratification until this afternoon, much less until death, we go for the anonymous screen dump of our "self" and hope someone out there really cares what we think about artichoke dip, the Middle East, J-Lo, our "personal journey", or even more mundanely, how our day went.

So, I join the blog. I guess it goes like this: I'll post a thought then check anxiously to see if anyone acknowledges my digital presence. How many times a day I check is inversely proportional to either my narcissism or loneliness, yes?

Fishing for existence. Facelessly shedding anonymity. Baring what little soul I have, hoping that with the addition of another bit of someone else's fragile soul I, we, might become slightly more of a human being. Even if its only zeros and ones and pixels in a darkened room, it has meaning because it came from flesh, dirty fingernails, (or maybe manicured), tapping out the sum of an existence. Who is capable of grasping, much less embracing, even a paragraph of another human being?

I'll think about that while I'm fixing dinner.

Thanks to all who read my stuff and whose blogs I frequent. My life is a bit richer for even the digital moments we share. And now... I need to go fix dinner before my wife gets home from choir practice.

5 comments:

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

A belated Blogiversary !

gAbe said...

God grant you many posts!

Janelle thegeekywife said...

Many posts!

Never underestimate the power of blogging. Indeed, as I dug deeper into Orthodoxy it really helped to read about others' experiences (not just conversion stories, but daily life as an Orthodox Christian-- the feasts, fasts, musings, etc.) Ya know, it's a lot easier to understand fasts and feasts through blog reading than book reading. That's not to say that LIVING the fasts is not necessary to learning, but I think you know what I mean.

elizabeth said...

Happy belated! Makes me think I should look at when mine started... :)

Yes, blogs can be a real blessing and I think are showing that we want community in whatever forms we can get it.

mamajuliana said...

Happy late blogoversary to you, too! Look another comment...positive reinforcement!