Monday, June 12, 2006

Why Did We....

go to the Native New Yorker on Brown Road instead of the one we always go to on Gilbert Road?

God knows. What I know is that we were driving down Brown Road and a young blonde girl with a baby in each arm walked in front of our van. I slowed down and she stood there and stared at us. Then instead of walking back to the sidewalk, she walked into the middle of the street, cars dodging her. I told my wife to go get her. I pulled into a driveway and called 911. My wife dodged traffic and caught up to her and tried to guide her to the sidewalk. They walked down the middle of the road, my wife trying to talk to her and guide her toward the sidewalk. She waved her arms at oncoming traffic, some swerved around them, some stopped and gawked and drove on. Another woman got out of her car and helped guide her to the side of the road. We were able to get the babies out of the girl's arms. She tried to walk back into the traffic. We got her to stay on the sidewalk and she stood with tears welling in her eyes. The police arrived about a minute later. The policeman asked "What's your name, so we can help you..." She stood, a vacant stare then more tears. "I...I can't...remember... I think it's... Julie.......I need help, I just want to come down...I don't like pain." She held out her arm. It looked like someone had taken an icepick to the inside of her arm. By that time two more squad cars had pulled up with a woman officer. We handed the babies over to the police. I instinctively reached over to touch Julie on the arm and was going to say something, but she cringed. The policeman was saying, "You have to talk to me so we can help you..." I knew there was nothing else we could do but watch and I'd seen that kind of thing so many times before. So I motioned to my wife and we walked away and went and ate wings and drank beer. God have mercy on Julie and her beautiful children.

7 comments:

Mimi said...

Prayers indeed.

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Poor girl - and her poor babies !
Lord, have mercy !
Good thing you were led to be there, s-p..............

Catrin said...

Oh my, that poor woman and her babies. Prayers going up for her and her children, and for you. It is indeed providental that someone like you saw her, and had the heart to stop and help.

Teri said...

I talked to your wife twice today. Twice. And does she mention this? Of course not. Your family has got to be the most thoughtful, selfless, kind, humble bunch I have ever met. Could you please rub some of that off on me?

Steve Robinson said...

Dear Teri Anna,
Have you discussed this delusion with your priest????

Anonymous said...

this has nothin to do with this thing....but....WHY DO YOU HAVE A MYSPACE???????????

ur loving daughter....kenzy

Danielle Cuthberta said...

Thank God she was able to move you to stop, s-p. And that your hands were empty to hold her. A gift for you both, eh? That's God's economy, for sure.