Sunday, May 30, 2010

Orthographs Go Down Under

Orthographs are no longer just for the enjoyment of American convert monkabees!

Anastasia, an online friend from New Zealand (which I now know is east of Australia, not IN Australia), visits the Greek monastery there frequently.  She recently took a copy of the book of "Orthographs" and gave it to the monks as a gift.  This was sent to me this afternoon by someone from the monastery who said the monks are enjoying the book. I think they're trying to figure out a way to read them at trapeza.  :)


If anyone is interested in bookstore or multiple copy bulk discounts, click on my profile and contact me at the link to my email, I'll be glad to work with you.

10 comments:

Ruth (or Anastasia) said...

er, that was New Zealand. Australia is further west. They have kangaroos. We have kiwis. I'm sure they would like to read Orthographs there, too, but the photo is of a New Zealand monk.

Steve Robinson said...

DANG! Can you tell I flunked geography? LOL! I knew you were somewhere "way over there on an island". I'll correct the post but leave the comments so people will know I'm still a DENSA member.

Sean+ said...

Ruth wrote:
but the photo is of a New Zealand monk.
I'm pretty sure the proper term should be New Zealish monk.

Jonathan (a different one) said...

For now. As I understand it NZ is debating the merits of merging (politically) with Australia to stop falling behind as a tiny fish in the global economic pond. Hmmn, crap (or carp) metaphor, but YSWIM.

discourse said...

The great thing about homeschooling is you have to teach it, so you re-learn it.

;)

Ian Climacus said...

As an Aussie Jonathan, I'd rather we merged with them; their politics and social justice seem far more than advanced than ours.

Congratulations Steven on your Orthographs being sent all around the world.

Anonymous said...

Your notoriety is spreading...

Anastasia Theodoridis said...

Anastasia said:

Fabulous, s-p!

I haven't bought my copy yet and I'm glad, because it looks like you are soon going to need to give us a new and updated edition, including the new Orthographs.

They just get funnier and funnier!

Jonathan said...

Speaking of reading it in trapeza, I just got back from St. John's monastery in California, where Fr. Meletios read Alice through the looking glass for a week. I guess even monks need a break sometimes!

Steve Robinson said...

Jonathan, That's awesome! Good literature is as much a vehicle for spiritual awakening as the Philokalia sometimes... so it isn't so much a "break" as it is maybe going in through a side door. :)