Friday, November 19, 2010

Vote for Pedro!

Most of the Orthoblogosphere is by now aware of the "Eastern Christian New Media Awards" hosted by Josephus over at Byzantine, Texas.  I've been notified this blog has been nominated and Josephus has asked that we bloggers mention the awards voting site so other people can go there to see who else is writing and doing interesting stuff on the internet that you might not be aware of yet.

So.  Here's the "orthodilemma":

1. If I mention the nomination and the voting site, I can be seen as self-aware and not humble, which of course I want to avoid because I don't want to burst the bubble of all my deluded readers who think I'm humble (in all humility).

2. If I don't mention the nomination but mention the voting site people will go there and see that I was nominated and think I was being sneaky to get them there to see that I was there so they'll vote for me, which will make them think I'm not humble AND disingenuous (but stupid) too.

3. If I don't mention it at all, period, it's like "this guy's all over the 'net, surely he knows he's on there by now" and they'd be right, and by not mentioning it I'm trying to do the false humility and pretend I'm unaware, and people will think I'm pandering for the "humility vote" because I'm not campaigning for recognition like some others are.

4.  If I put up the voting site and say "but I don't care if I win anything or not", that will be seen as duplicitous and falsely humble because if I REALLY didn't care I wouldn't have mentioned it at all.

5.  If I put up the voting site and put up 4 disclaimers that will be seen as being overly analytical and falsely concerned about how humble it all looks because true humility isn't that self aware and doesn't really care what anyone thinks.

6. If I put up 5 disclaimers and then pull down the link to the voting site and nuke this post altogether as if I never wrote it, then it is truly falsely humble and I'll know that at least one person voted for me because I DIDN'T put anything up on my blog about it because he threatened to NOT vote for me if I did.

7. If I win by one vote then I will know I won on the basis of caving in to the threat to look falsely humble by not mentioning it in order to get that vote and I won by pretense.

8.  If I don't win and say I didn't really care one way or the other then this whole post looks disingenuous because if I really didn't care I wouldn't have posted anything at all, especially about the threat of a "no vote" (see #'s 1-4).

9.  If I do win because people read the blog and think its "AXIOS!" then I have to write another whole post like this one about whether or not to put the award in the sidebar, which is a lot of work.

10. If I don't win then I just looked really arrogant to have wasted half my morning writing all this for nothing when I could have been drawing a new Curmudgeophan cartoon instead.

So there, I did it, Josephus.  And thanks to the readers who thought enough of the blog to take the time to click a couple links for it.

15 comments:

Tim said...

I appreciate the Napoleon Dynamite references lately. It truly is a spiritual movie.

Matushka Anna said...

This was great. I wish I'd thought to do this. Instead, I just said, "Wow! Thanks! This is awesome!" and pointed them to the site. Where do I fall on your list? (c;

Athanasia said...

We all know Moo is the true author of the posts on this website, the true genius behind the author, so don't worry about it s-p. We're voting for him 'cause we love him!

Can ya feel the luvin?! LOL!

Anonymous said...

I believe this is why so many father's point to humility as the starting point for the virtues. It cannot be grasped or intended.

(Don't you love the ortho-convert habit of pulling a trivial moral lesson out of a hat thinking it's profound?)

Darlene said...

Honestly, I don't think you had to make things so difficult and analytical.

Dianne said...

Overthink much? Heh.

I voted for your blog before you posted this, anyhow. So there.

Donna Witek said...

I found this post hysterical :) in the best possible way... whether you completely intended that or not, is another story.

Oh, and, speaking of Curmudgeophan, I'd like to hear his take on your thought process as described in this post... ;)

Kim said...

I believe you covered everything.

Steve Robinson said...

OK, I admit it. Moo has a brain the size of a pea and he IS the brains behind this blog. I'm glad you all enjoyed the scenic tour of the analytical convert mind. :)

Anonymous said...

In total admiration I voted for your site twice; 1 because you can fake humility better than anybody I've ever seen; and 2 because of how much you admire the people who admire your work. :)

Steve Robinson said...

Allan, I'm so glad SOMEONE notices. If you had a blog I'd vote for you in an Orthodox manner: 3x! :)

Anonymous said...

Well I nominated you and voted for you twice already, so I'm allowed to say it: vote Pithless Thoughts for funniest blog!!!!!! :oD

Syrian Fire said...

You got my vote for best podcast over at AFR.

margaret said...

I voted for you seeing as Moo wasn't there. Btw, is your email working?

Steve Robinson said...

Margaret, yes my email works. stevenpaul4 at cox dot net. Moo doesn't check his very often these days.