Saturday, March 17, 2012

Somewhere Over the Rainbow Redux, The Sunday of the Cross

There is something enduring and mystical about "Somewhere Over the Rainbow".  Perhaps it is "merely" the human innate sensibility of immortality that transcends the troubled existences we endure. Perhaps after The Flood God has infused in our DNA the Promise of the Rainbow. 
  
A couple years ago I posted this video of  Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole 


And the "Piano Guys" do a beautiful tribute to Iz and nice rendition of the tune. 



On the Sunday of the Cross the promise of the Rainbow of God is fulfilled.  He is not our Destroyer, He is not our death.  

The Light hung on the Cross in darkness and fulfilled the promise of the Rainbow.

The Life of the world died and killed death.  The Life was bound to all that is earthly to offer a hope beyond the curse of returning to the dust of the ground.

God is the hope of the "somewhere" over the Rainbow.  

Perhaps He is the Unbearable Light that we can only bear shattered and refracted by creation, broken into smaller comprehendable parts. The Rainbow is The Light, anchored to the dust of the ground by the Cross, stretching to heaven at Its peak then returning to the earth in Hope. 

The Rainbow is all we can see through earth-bound eyes because our hearts cannot bear the Uncreated Light. But the Rainbow touches our hearts because we hope for something beyond what we can see.  

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I cannot say why, nor will I defend, the plain joy I find in IZ's rendition. Some things I refuse to deconstruct. Thank you for connecting it to this day, now I have a fantastic excuse to re-remember it each year at this time.

You just started a tradition (though technically, I suppose it isn't one unless I do it again next year as I intend). Sorry about that. Such are the hazards of Ortho-celebrity.

Matushka Anna said...

This reminds me of my babies, especially today. Innocent's first birthday is coming soon.

Bless you.

Anonymous said...

I used uke when singing songs for students. A Korean exchange student came up after one class and said, "Small guitar?"

"Ukulele ... it's called a ukulele."

"Oh. Fat man play small guitar."

"What?" (Start mounting my pride horse.)

"Fat man ... rainbow song."

"Ohhhhhh! You mean [I sing a couple of bars]"?

"Yeah! Fat man on fire in the ocean."

"What?"

The student left, then. I looked up IZ and found out that he had, indeed, died and been cremated. His ashes were scattered in the ocean.