Monday, February 14, 2011

My Zeal is Renewed

One of the realities of the Orthodox life is that zeal waxes and wanes. Mine mostly wanes, especially after the first couple years. But the seasons of the Church year have remedies for the rollercoaster of the passions. This Sunday is one of them. The Sunday of the Publican and Pharisee always renews my zeal. For at least this week I always find myself reinvigorated, renewed in my commitment to the spiritual disciplines of the Church and looking forward to keeping the prescriptions of the Canons strictly.

So this week, in careful accordance with the Typikon, I bring all of my will under total obedience to the Church and will not fast and will eat meat every day. It's going to be tough, but I will persevere!

10 comments:

elizabeth said...

how did I not see that (punchline) coming! yay for eat anything week! :)

Anastasia Theodoridis said...

oooh...that punchline sneaked up on me, too!

Thanks for the smile on a day I need it.

Dianne said...

Snuck up on me, too. Good one, s-p! Glad we have your humor to help us survive the rigors of this week's demands. ;-)

Anonymous said...

bless the bacon, Steve. :)

Joanna
(http://handmaidjoanna.wordpress.com)

Ingemar said...

I saw a priest say "Thank God it's the week of the Publican and the Pharisee!" when munching down a cookie on Wednesday.

Apophatically Speaking said...

S-P,

If you are really committed, switch to the old calendar, but so not to overdo it, just for this week.

Word verification: Poopi (for reals!!)

Unknown said...

Your a true martyr!!

mamajuliana said...

You had me too!!!! Let's hear it for meat!

Anonymous said...

The RCs have Mardi Gras. We have burgers on Wednesday.

I advise we keep this out of the pamphlets.

DebD said...

LOL - snuck up on me too.