Friday, January 01, 2010

Old Hippies Live Here

My house is, how do Designers say... Eclectic.  My wife has long learned to not even try to imagine what I'm talking about when I describe what I have in mind.  Ryan noticed the kitchen cabinets in the background of my video of breadmaking with my Grandson.  Here's some more pictures of the kitchen




These are a couple of detail pictures of the cabinet faces.




 
This is the "Pot Rack".  We had one of those plastic lens covered recessed lights in our kitchen ceiling. I took out the plastic lenses, painted the recess red, painted some rebar green and some cattle fencing yellow. I drilled holes in the sides of the recess and put the rebar in then tied the cattle fence to the rebar frame with colored electrician's wire. I put some hooks in the ceiling and suspended "S" hooks with colored wire. Mexican Cantina Pot Rack.



...and the staircase that goes down to my "basement catacomb studio" where all this stuff happens. The carpet was getting really ratty and I was too lazy to tile it and had kitchen paint left over.

11 comments:

Athanasia said...

Oh.Lord.

God bless your wife.

LOL!

Anonymous said...

"Old hippies live here" was exactly what I thought when I saw the video. I kid you not.

Dana

deb said...

I love it!

We remodeled our kitchen shortly after moving into our house 20 years ago. I was then the poster girl for Lack of Confidence in Decorating. My kitchen thus has: dark brown oak cabinets, off-white walls, light beige countertops. I hate it. It needs redecorating desperately, and while I am not a whole lot more confident about decorating now, sheesh, I am at least done with Absolute Calculated Most Boring Decor Possible.

And I've noticed that the houses of my friends who are the least afraid of bold colors make me happy.

So, this place needs work. You are so hired.

Ashley Siferd said...

I love it. If my parents weren't in charge, I'd totally go for that color scheme at home. If I didn't live in a dorm where we aren't allowed to paint the walls, I would definitely use your kitchen as a starting point.

:)

ryan said...

Proving all of my imaginations correct!

Steve Robinson said...

Dana, LOL! Yup.
Deb, Color is your friend. I told my wife, I can always paint them brown again if someone boring wants to buy the house. :)

Fr Christian Mathis said...

Nice colors Steve....

and Ashley, I think if you are willing to paint your walls back to the same color they were when you moved in, you can paint them any color for the duration of the year.....just a thought.

Unknown said...

I always love when you show pictures of your house. I think everything is great! Your wife is very fortunate that you have the talents that you do. I have the mind of a male bachelor (though I am a female), and I have no idea how to decorate my place. I just want my friends to tell me what looks good. I am not aesthetic in the least. Maybe I can meet a guy like you who has this kind of vision because I don't have it!

elizabeth said...

love the colours!!!! yea for paint!!

also love the moo pix of your grandson...

and the orthographs, quite fun, thanks for them. :)

Janelle thegeekywife said...

THE POT RACK. I LOVE IT.

Chocolatesa said...

Wow that is so cool. I want a kitchen like that someday! That must have taken a lot of work and given you a lot of leftover paint though...

On second thought I think I'd be too lazy to do anything that detailed, I'd probably settle for having the doors all one color and the cupboards themselves another color.